baldwin county eda
Fort Morgan
Share Page
Print Page
Return to Map

Regarded by some scholars as the finest military architecture in the world, Fort Morgan is a masonry star fort at the mouth of Mobile Bay.

Fort Morgan was built in 1834 and named for Revolutionary War hero Daniel Morgan. It was used during the Civil War in a failed attempt to defend Mobile Bay. The Union attacked the fort after taking Mobile Bay, and after two weeks the Confederate forces surrendered.

The War Department turned it over to the State of Alabama in 1946, and the Army again abandoned the Fort in 1947.

Fort Morgan was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960.

line
background image